Thursday, February 11, 2010

Airport Pick-Up

This is why I like Irish men. Many of my Irish female friends may dispute their value, but there's something unique in the blend of shyness, humor, and lager-induced bravado that can be quite appealing at times.

Last week was a perfect example. Somehow, I got picked up on my flight to the states, without even realizing it! It was like a dating "Sixth Sense" - the ball didn't drop for me until almost the very end :-)

This guy was smooth, patient, non-threatening, but not afraid to move in for the kill at the end of the silent chase. From sitting across the aisle from he and his buddies on the plane, to the final walk and wait at Baggage Claim, it was an exercise in patient hunting. And, by the time the prey copped on, she was already hip deep in conversation, admitting that no she wasn't married, and willingly passing on her mobile number.

Now, I like to think I'm pretty self-aware, but, in this case, cluelessness probably served to keep me calm, unflustered, and distant enough at the start to ensure that the chase kept going. Rather than anxious and self-conscious, I ended up feeling pretty pleased with both myself and him, and smiling a bit as well. The smile had to get bigger when, as we caught up with each other in the snakey Customs line, he sent a smiling wink and his friends chorused out "Hi Sirmelja!" :-)

All in all, an interesting flight.

5 comments:

Niamh said...

I have to admit the first sentence stunned me;) but this sounds interesting, kudos for him for getting it together! Good luck!

* said...

Wow, I like this post. I am very very curious.

Waiting for more...

Jamdown said...

So what's happened since? Prying minds want to know!

Sirmelja said...

Great build up, no follow-through. No girls, he hasn't called. I shouldn't be surprised :-(

af said...

it was fun to be pursued though.

and heck, you're in Ireland i'm sure there are loads of eligble lads. and if not, there's always spain, uk, france, etc right there and they're full of men as well haha!